TTP Engineering is the authority in Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution aftermarket performance and tuning.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Wayne's 750whp+ Dynojet, Stock ECU 2.3L maxes out the 6262 w/ Scott Davis ECU tuning!

A gentleman after our own heart, Wayne's choice in high-performance sedans brought him to pick up this 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Edition. This model just so happened to be the exact same model and color as TTP-Engineering's own personal streetcar notorious for its performance with the factory ECU just a few years back. So when it came time to work with this vehicle, it brought back a lot of fond memories. To this date, our graphite gray MR was one of our most special vehicles.

In Wayne's case, he picked up this beauty already modified with a 2.3 L stroker motor, full race T3 turbo kit featuring a precision 6262 ball bearing single scroll turbocharger. We were certain that he was excited about his new car, but he did have some hurdles along the way. Unfortunately, he had lost the first stroker motor through damaged and or melted pistons on a standalone ECU tune done by one of our competitors in the Southeast USA before getting the car back on track.

These unfortunate events happened prior to linking up with us at TTP-Engineering and the Zen Motorsports group in Northeast Georgia. Dan at Zen motorsports took over the project and got the repairs underway for him. In short time, master tech Torrey had the replacement pistons and machine work done to help bring the car back to life.

As part of the build process. The cylinder head underwent a moderate port and polish as well as o-ringing of the head. This was to ensure the combustion gases would stay in the combustion chamber and not escape into the coolant passages during high boost. With the engine put back together, Torrey also upgraded the crankcase ventilation system with a custom one-off, double ventilation -10 AN Valve cover breather system plumbed into individual carbon fiber Prosport side view catch cans.

Once the car finally started, it was clear that something was wrong. The Evo was only running on two cylinders. Through our trouble shooting, we determined that two of the Injector Dynamics 2000cc fuel injectors had seized and were unable to flow any fuel. This type of thing is typical when using E85 ethanol fuel and the car sits for any period of time. With little bit of ingenuity, we were able to free the seized injectors and reinstall them where the engine then purred like a kitten.

We retained the 5.2 bar AEM map sensor, which was already plumbed into the BJ's Sheetmetal intake, Yet opted to revert back to the factory ECU because of its vast capabilities when being programmed by an expert tuner. The air intake temperature sensor we also used from the already installed sensor in the 3 inch upper intercooler pipe. A few other performance related modifications we noticed were the Boomba 75 mm throttle body, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and custom dual walbro fuel pumps and a twin disc clutch to transmit the power to the wheels.

Onto the good stuff... The car already had some old ethanol in it at the time it went down. So we kind of did the tuning in opposite order. We typically start with the pump gas fueling and tuning first before moving on to the more aggressive alternate fuel such as ethanol, but in this case, then motorsports had already filled the tank with E85 so we ran with it.

With a base map calibrated on the street at low boost the car came to life with the baseline of over 600 hp to the wheels at near waste gate pressure. Concentrating on a solid boost curve without peaks and valleys, we custom tailored the ECU controlled and gear dependent boost maps to target 32 psi. With the fuel and ignition timing optimized for performance, it was pretty clear that with the 2.3 L stroker and the relatively undersized PTE 6262, the turbo was clearly running out of steam at a conservative 32 psi.

According to the precision turbo website, this turbo is only rated to 705 hp. After a number of pulls in the turbo, giving us all she had, the car put down a respectable 750 hp to the wheels with about 580 wheel torque. It was pretty clear from the turbos characteristics being run at 32 PSI that anymore boost would just run it outside its efficiency range so were pretty sure that an upgrade in the Turbo department is in this cars future.

Pro tuner Scott Davis made sure to utilize the throttle position switch activated alternate map switching system which Wayne could use to toggle between the ethanol map and 93 pump gas map by holding down the gas pedal and watching the check engine light flash in a specific flash pattern indicating which map the was on. With this map switching feature everything from fuel injector sizing, ignition timing, boost mapping, and fueling could all be switched back and forth in about 5 to 10 seconds depending on which fuel he was using at that moment.

With a swap out to 93 octane those levels ignition timing, fueling and injector sizing was all adjusted to safe levels on these 9.0:1 compression stroker pistons. At a more conservative boost level of around 27 PSI, we were able to extract the conservative 611 wheel horsepower with about 520 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels. After we took the car off the Dynojet, we were sure to retest the car on the street and ensure its characteristics and boost response remained the same Which sometimes has to be done when using Dynojet dynamometers as the load on the street differs from the load on the dyno.

We are unsure of Wayne's immediate plans however we think an upgrade to the new PTE CEA 6466 sounds like a winner for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment